Curtis Lawrence (right) is helping his younger brother, Corey (left) with algebra two. He's a freshman at George Washington University at the age of 14. ( Malene Lawrence)


WASHINGTON (ABC7) - While most people at age 14 are starting their freshman year of high school, Curtis Lawrence is starting his freshman year at George Washington University as a college student.


"In my university writing class, my professor asked me if I was a visitor or if I was someone's younger brother," Curtis said. "Most of the people that I sit at tables with. They ask me how old am I and how am I here - so I tell them everything."

He says, School without Walls, prepared him for this big transition.

"I think when people see him, they think he's a third-grader. When he speaks, they say OK this kid is advanced. He's not in third grade" his mother, Malene Lawrence said.

The program is part of the high school. Lawrence said, "Only 15 out of 200 students qualify."

"Well, we worked hard to get here" his brother, Corey, laughed.

While most 14 year-olds are preparing for high school, Curtis and his brother Corey are thinking about their careers.

Curtis wants to continue his education at Florida A & M, studying Computer Science and Paleontology. Corey wants to attend Hampton University and become an astrophysicist.

"It's Curtis. He's really ahead of me and I want to follow in his footsteps."

Indeed, he is. He's a 13-year-old freshman in high school with hopes of attending George Washington University as well.


"It makes me feel good. Corey, he's never said this to me before" Curtis said.

George Washington University says he is currently "the youngest student in our traditional undergraduate on-campus program."


Previous Next