In a surprising turn of events an unfortunate thief in Rio de Janeiro while trying to rob a woman got knocked himself down by the lady. The woman turned out to be Polyana Viana, a UFC strawweight fighter.

Apparently, a man approached her while she was waiting for her Uber outside her apartment building in the West Zone of Rio. Polyana mentioned that the man seemed sneaky as he had approached very close when she noticed her.

Describing the series of events Polyana said, “When he saw I saw him, he sat next to me, asked me the time. I said it, but noticed he wasn’t going to leave. So, I already moved to put my cell phone in my waist.


And then he said, ‘Give me the phone. Don’t try to react, because I’m armed.’ Then he put his hand over (a gun), but I realised it was too soft. He was really close to me. So, I thought, ‘If it’s a gun, he won’t have time to draw it.’ So, I stood up and threw two punches and a kick. He fell, and then I caught him in a rear naked choke. Then I sat him down in the same place we were before and said, ‘Now we’ll wait for the police.’”


Apparently, the gun that the thug was using to threaten Polyana was nothing, but a cardboard roughly cut in the shape of a dummy gun.

Polyana asked the passers by to call the cops while she held the goon in an arm lock. The robber made repeated pleas to let him go.

“He told me to let him go, like ‘I just asked for the time.’ I said, ‘Asked for the time my ass,’ because he saw I was very angry,” said the UFC fighter. “I said I wouldn’t let go and that I was going to call the police. He said, ‘call the police, then’ because he was scared that I was going to beat him up more,” she added.

The thief was taken to the hospital for treatment before he was taken to the police station.


Polyana went back home safe. She said that her hands hurt a little next day but it was passable.



Previous Next