On her 107th birthday, New York native Louise Signore told WCBS-TV, “I think the secret of 107: I never got married. I think that’s the secret."

Diet and exercise have long been attributed to a long life, but a 107-year-old woman says the reason why she was able to live so long was because she never got married.


Friends and family gathered Wednesday to celebrate New York native Louise Signore on her 107th birthday, according to WCBS-TV.

“I think the secret of 107: I never got married. I think that’s the secret. My sister says ‘I wish I never got married,’” Signore told the local station at her party.

However, the longevity obviously runs in the family. Signore is one of four siblings, three of whom are still alive today including her youngest sister who turned 102 in March, according to WABC-TV.

A friend told WCBS-TV that Signore doesn’t use a walking cane or wheelchair. The only medication she takes is for high blood pressure, and she still goes dancing at the local community center when she can.

Gina Bullard, an anchor for KCTV5, tweeted a photo of Signore in front of her brightly decorated birthday cake.

"She says the secret to a long life is NOT getting married! Meanwhile, I'm over here eating kale and doing yoga...now I know!" Bullard said.

Even though Signore lives alone, the senior director of JASA Bartow Community Center told the local station that that her connection with friends and neighbors at the senior center helps keep her going.


According to CNN, Alelia Murphy holds the record for being the oldest living woman in the United States at 114 years old. She also lives in New York.



Previous Next